MARYLAND — Today, Friday, January 29th, marks the end of President Joseph Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris’ first full week in office. Over the last nine days, the new administration has taken huge steps towards building our nation back better and addressing the crises facing our nation.
“In his inaugural address, President Biden pledged that our new administration would ‘press forward with speed and urgency, for we have much to do in this winter of peril and possibility.’ At the end of his first full week in office, President Biden has already delivered on this promise — turning the page to a better, stronger, and more equitable America,” said Maryland Democratic Party Chair Yvette Lewis. “The Biden-Harris administration has put our nation back on track through executive action, proposed bold legislation to address the crises facing America, returned qualified professionals to government posts, and brought leadership and dignity back to the office of the President of the United States.”
Since he first set foot in the Oval Office, President Biden has taken decisive steps to address the challenges facing our nation. His executive orders and actions have:
- Addressed the COVID-19 pandemic by implementing mask and social-distance mandates on federal property, rejoining the World Health Organization, and massively boosting vaccine purchases and administration.
- Helped hardworking families struggling under the economic crisis by extending eviction moratoriums, continuing the pause on federal student loans, and increasing eligibility for supplemental nutrition programs.
- Made quality, affordable health care more accessible by creating a new Affordable Care Act open-enrollment period so Americans without health care can get insured, and those with insurance can try and find a more affordable plan. President Biden also called on federal agencies to strengthen the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid however possible.
- Fought the climate crisis by rejoining the Paris Climate Accords, pausing new federal oil leases, and by ordering a transition of all federal vehicles from gas to electric – a proposal that would create one million jobs in the auto industry.
- Confronted racial and income inequities by requiring the federal government to advance fair housing and combat housing discrimination, ending federal funding for private prisons, and rolling back the ban on diversity and inclusion training for federal employees.
- Ended the transgender military ban allowing all those who are fit to serve our nation the opportunity to do so.
- Supported American businesses and workers through the “Buy American’ executive order that will ensure taxpayer dollars are spent on American goods made by American workers. This order will create good-paying American jobs, strengthen our industries, and support our unions.
- Reinforced American values by ending xenophobic policies like the ‘Muslim Ban’ and construction of the border wall.
The Biden-Harris administration has coupled these important executive actions with the proposed American Rescue Plan — an ambitious legislative package that will provide critical support to Marylanders in need, small businesses working to stay open, and governments struggling to balance their budgets. This package will ensure America and Maryland is built back better as quickly as possible; it has been supported by Maryland’s Democratic Congressional Delegation, and everyone from the AFL-CIO to the Chamber of Commerce.
The new administration has also wasted no time in getting qualified, career professionals confirmed to lead our federal agencies; with cabinet members now confirmed to lead the Department of Defense, State Department, Treasury Department, and the Intelligence Community.
“Perhaps just as important as any action or piece of legislation, President Biden has returned dignity and competent leadership to the Oval Office,” said Maryland Democratic Party Chair Yvette Lewis. “This administration has demonstrated their commitment to the American people and shown the power of their example by providing transparency, accessibility, and maintaining a fierce work ethic.
”The challenges ahead of us still remain great, but President Biden’s efforts over the last week show that when we set aside our differences as Americans, there is no limit to what we can accomplish. We look forward to working with the Biden-Harris administration and supporting their continued success.”