The Maryland Democratic Party is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Communications Director. The Communications Director leads the communications team and will be responsible for developing, managing, and implementing communications programs including press events and releases, op-eds and talking points, social media, and email. Experience with direct mail, promoted digital content, advertising buys, facilitating focus groups, and polling is preferred. The Communications Director reports to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Party Chair. This is a full-time permanent position based in Annapolis, and will require extensive statewide travel.
- Develop long- and short-term media-based strategies for getting Democrats elected in Maryland and creating a stronger Democratic Party;
- Advise the Chair, Executive Director, and other party officers, candidates, and central committees about communications strategy;
- Work with the DNC, congressional and legislative caucuses, other elected officials, candidates, central committees, and activists to frame and deliver a consistent message from the Party, with a focus on local content.
- Deliver the Party’s message through the media to activists and the public through means such as press releases, op-eds, videos, press conferences, relationships with the media, social media, - and other appropriate vehicles;
- Managing social media and email programs and website content;
- Developing fact sheets, talking points, issue literature, and other materials as needed;
- Placing targeted digital advertising buys, and reporting on performance;
- Preparing the Chair for public appearances;
- Training elected officials, activists, surrogates, and staff;
- Utilizing focus groups as well as phone and canvass polling to craft audience-specific messages
- Minimum of 2-5 years of experience working in campaigns, government or political organizations, preferably in Maryland Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to stay calm and have a positive attitude
- Ability to plan and manage time sensitive projects with competing needs;
- Ability to multitask and manage time effectively;
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skill
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with long hours
- Ability to delegate and hold staff accountable
- Experience with podcasts, website management, videos, and social media is preferred
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please put Communications Director in the subject line of email.
The Maryland Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to the achievement of equality of opportunity for all its employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin or disability